Tuesday, May 8

Handheld emulator heaven

I bought a GP2X recently. At first I thought I had made a big mistake. I initially wanted something to play video that I could use in my classes without the need to carry my portable computer. The GP2X has a tv-out and can play all videos after conversion. However there are dedicated portable media players out there and I was thinking maybe I should have gone for one of those....

...and then I loaded up some emulators! Man! Woot! Now I can play arcade classics and console classics. Of the console games I have been impressed with the Sega Megadrive emulator (Picodrive) and the Game Boy Advance emulator (Gpsp). Of course the MAME emulator kicks ass for memory lane fans!

Plus since the handheld uses a modified Linux OS all of the above software and more can be downloaded free. Of course it is not for the casual user who can opt for a PSP.

If you like your classic games I can easily recommend the GP2X. And come on what modern games can beat them for gameplay?!

No comments: